Re: Open Data for Agriculture

Hi,

I've done (and am doing) a small amount of work in this area. Bart has
already pointed out Agrovoc. Its a very useful thesaurus of terms
useful for tieing together data from different sources, particularly
statistical data.

On the research side of agriculture there's been a fair bit of work on
things like, e.g. the Crop Ontology (http://www.cropontology.org/). So
some examples of using RDF/OWL/Linked Data for data sharing.

An interesting issue at the moment is that agriculture is becoming
increasingly data-driven, with use of sensors and satellite imaging to
inform farming practices. There's a growing tension between the large
agri-businesses and farmers. See, e.g. [1]. There's a case to be made
that farmers could be opening up their data, rather than locking it up
with big businesses.

On my current project I'm working with Syngenta on how they might go
about sharing data from their Good Growth Plan [2]. That's statistical
data on corporate and farming activities, so fits well with Data Cube.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/21/264577744/should-farmers-give-john-deere-and-monsanto-their-data
[2]. http://goodgrowthplan.com