Re: Data "on" the Web vs Data "in" the Web

Leigh,

The RDF "market" is the amount of money organizations are spending on RDF
technologies.  This includes the companies Phil mentioned, which btw are
not using RDF databases exclusively.  The same organization are also using
traditional databases and unstructured repositories too, and probably
their RDF use amounts to less than 5% of their total overall data storage.

I am not disputing that there is RDF adoption.  Nor am I disputing that
RDF is a great solution for some data needs.  I am simply providing
evidence that RDF is so far a very minor database technology and when we
base our Best Practices recommendations ONLY on RDF we are creating
standards with very minor impact.

This may not be what people want or like to hear.  But it is what the
market is so far telling us and I think it behooves us to listen.

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"