Re: APIs to work with data on the web

These are great examples and I really like the elegance of the methods.

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

From:
Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
To:
Laufer <laufer@globo.com>
Cc:
DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Date:
03/18/2014 10:58 AM
Re: APIs to work with data on the web

I think that there are a number of possible answers to your question,
Laufer. The one that I immediately think of is the Linked data API [1]
which provides a framework for the kind of thing you refer to here. It
maps URIs to SPARQL queries that can return lists of 'everything below
here in the graph.'

There are a few implementations of the Linked Data API, one that gets
most attention these days is ELDA [2].

An alternative URI -> SPARQL mapping tool is Pubby [3] which is used by
DBPedia (it's from the same team).

To take a fictitious example, I agree it would be nice if:

http://data.example.com/id/building/A/rooms

returned a list of all the rooms in building A

http://data.example.com/id/building/A/rooms/ground

returned a list of all the rooms on the ground floor of building A

http://data.example.com/id/building/A/rooms/ground/01

identified room 01 on the ground floor of building A.

That's a nice thing to set up, and using something like the tools listed
above is certainly possible. It conflates URI design with implementation
(which may or may not be a good thing). Whether that's an actual Best
Practice... is for the WG to decide :-)

Phil.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/linked-data-api/
[2] http://www.epimorphics.com/web/tools/elda.html
[3] http://wifo5-03.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/pubby/

On 18/03/2014 14:23, Laufer wrote:
> Steve, Manuel,
>
> I am not talking only about the Resources. Or, what are the things that
are
> exposed as Resources.
>
> For example, in DBpedia there is a Resource for the album Houses of the
> Holy (http://dbpedia.org/page/Houses_of_the_Holy).
> There is also a Resource for the record label Atlantic Records (
> http://dbpedia.org/page/Atlantic_Records), which is the record label
from
> the album Houses of the Holy.
>
> What is the URI of all albums of the record label Atlantic Records?
>
> My question is: could it be one Best Practice, recommended by of DWBP
WG,
> to provide a way of exposing the "Resource" All Albums of the Record
Label

<mail@makxdekkers.com>,

To: Newton
>> Calegari <*newton@nic.br* <newton@nic.br>>, Makx Dekkers <
>> *mail@makxdekkers.com* <mail@makxdekkers.com>>  Cc: "
>> *public-dwbp-wg@w3.org* <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>"
<*public-dwbp-wg@w3.org*<public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
>>>   Date: 03/17/2014 11:19 AM  Subject: RE: APIs to work with data on
the
>> web
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Very interesting article indeed and related to discussions we're
currently
>> having with developers as part of Open Data Ireland on how best to
>> publish/use machine-readable data.
>>
>> I've added a use-case on it
*https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Use_Cases*<
https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Use_Cases>Please feel free to add points
or pick up on nuances of the conversation

http://www.infoq.com/articles/API-Design-Joshua-Bloch?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer36801&utm_medium=twitter#.UvbdCPy0BT0.delicious

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead