Re: APIs to work with data on the web

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Is not a URI an application programming INTERFACE?  And would we not wish
> the use of URIs to be recommended in APIs?

We access APIs via a URI. Good, hypermedia based APIs will return
standardised documents that describe how to interact with that
interface. Those APIs are part of the web.

But many APIs don't do that and you have to read docs, etc in order to
understand how to interact with them. Those APIs aren't as well
integrated into the web architecture.

There are best practices for publishing APIs. I'd suggest that those
best practices overlap only partly with data publishing best
practices. Details on how to publish a good hypermedia API are a wider
issue than data publishing.

Where they overlap is in:

* ensuring that metadata about the dataset accessed via the URI, e.g.
its source, licensing, is available to consumers. Ideally this should
be available from the API endpoint and its responses
* that API responses use standard web formats where possible, so data
is more easily reused
* ideally, API responses should include URIs to faciliate linking and
discovery of data.

Does that help?

Cheers,

L.