Re: Use Case: BetaNYC 3/5

Excellent idea.  But maybe another way forward is to get DBpedia to use
the vocabs and build a use case on that?

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

From:
Ig Ibert Bittencourt <ig.ibert@gmail.com>
To:
Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:
Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Date:
03/07/2014 05:19 AM
Re: Use Case: BetaNYC 3/5

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing with us about these hackathons.

With regards the DBpedia data, although WayCount went one step further
than Palo Alto about open data, I think the problem is the same. Perhaps
they don't know about the vocabs and how to use them.

Don't you think we should create some use cases focused on the usage of
PROV-O, QB, DCAT, ORG... ?

Best,
Ig

Last night, I attended another BetaNYC Hackathon in Brooklyn, where I met
another group of passionate citizens developing, and learning to develop,
fascinating apps for Smarter Cities.  This week we were about 15 people in
the room, and we started with a lightning round of "what are you working
on" descriptions from project leads.  There were only three people in the
room who had participated in the hackathon the week prior, and this is
pretty normal.  BetaNYC has 1600 developers registered in their network
and every week coders rotate in and out of meetups and projects in an
endless and unplanned cycle that continuously inspires creativity and
motivation by showcasing new projects.

The first project we heard about came from a local nonprofit called
Tomorrow Lab, who have designed hardware that measures how many bikes
travel on streets they measure.  It uses simple hardware and open source
software that connects two sensors with a pneumatic tube that measures
impressions for weight and axel distance that differentiates between bikes
and cars.  Its called WayCount.  The text below is from their website.  In
the room we discussed how WayCount data could be combined with NYPD crash
reports to more accurately identify the spots in NYC where bike accidents
per bike numbers occur and identify ways to remediate.

WayCount is a platform for crowd-sourcing massive amounts of near
real-time automobile and bicycle traffic data from a nodal network of
inexpensive hardware devices.   For the first time ever, you can gather
accurate volume, rate, and speed measurements of automobiles and bicycles,
then easily upload and map the information to a central online database.
 The WayCount device works like other traffic counters, but has two key
differences: lower cost and open data. At 1/5th price of the least
expensive comparible product, WayCount is affordable. The WayCount Data
Uploader allows you to seamlessly upload and map your latest traffic count
data, making it instantly available to anyone online.
Collectively, the WayCount user community has the potential to build a
rich repository of traffic count data for bike paths, city alley ways,
neighborhood streets, and busy boulevards from around the world. With a
better understanding of automobile and bicycle ridership patterns, we can
inform the design of better cities and towns.
The WayCount platform is an important addition to the process of measuring
the impact of transportation design, and creating livable streets by
adding bicycle lanes, public spaces, and developing smart transportation
management systems. By creating open-data, we can increase governmental
transparency, and provide constituencies with the essential data they need
to advocate for rational and necessary improvements to the design,
maintenance, and policy of transportation systems.
The hardware and software of the WayCount device and website were designed
and engineered by Tomorrow Lab.
WayCount devices are currently for sale on the website, WayCount.com

We also discussed some ideas to provide policy makers with better sources
of Open Data to guide policy discussions, and then broke up into four
groups focusing on different projects.  One group discussed how to save
the New York Library on 42nd Street from the imminent transformation of
its main reading room and function as a lending library.  Another group
scraped web pages for NYPD crash data for an app comparing accident rates
across the 5 boroughs.  Some people just spent time talking about who they
are and what they want to work on, what they want to learn, and how to get
more involved.

I spent an hour with a young programmer who had worked on the NYC Property
Tax Map I shared with you last week.  He showed me a Chrome Plugin he is
working on that provides data about leading politicians whenever their
names are mentioned on a webpage.  It is called Data Explorer for US
Politics and it provides some nifty data on things like campaign
contributions compared to committee assignments.

I asked him where he got his data and he showed me DBpedia, which "is a
crowd-sourced community effort to extract structured information from
Wikipedia and make this information available on the Web. DBpedia allows
you to ask sophisticated queries against Wikipedia, and to link
the different data sets on the Web to Wikipedia data. We hope that this
work will make it easier for the huge amount of information in Wikipedia
to be used in some new interesting ways. Furthermore, it might inspire
new mechanisms for navigating, linking, and improving the encyclopedia
itself. "

Then I asked him how he knows that DBpedia data is accurate and reliable
and he just looked at me.  "It's on the internet..."  Yeah, and so where
weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.  But they were only on the internet
and never in Iraq.  And herein lies a huge problem about Open Data on the
Web; there is no corroboration of fact, no metadata describing where it
came from, how it was derived, calculated, presented.  No one attests to
its veracity, yet we all use it on faith which just ain't good enough.

This is why we have the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group -
to create new vocabulary and metadata standards that attach citations and
lineage, attestations and data quality metrics to Open Data so that
everyone can understand where it came from, how much to trust it, and even
how to improve it.

At the end of the evening, we also discussed IBM Smarter Cities, the
Portland System Dynamics Demo, and the possibility of hosting a BetaNYC
meetup at IBM on 590 Madison Avenue.  It was a fascinating evening and I
encourage all to check out the links provided in this writeup and get out
and join a meetup near you.

Talk to you tomorrow.

--

Ig Ibert Bittencourt
Professor Adjunto III - Universidade Federal de Alagoas (UFAL)