Re: BP Guidelines

Hi Bernadette,

I agree with your summary that "licence information should be available"

I think we all agreed that the best practice for the content of licences is probably well out of scope for our group - and if I remember correctly, I think Steve Adler previously made some comments to support that view.  However, where such licences exist in a form that can be unambiguously referenced via a URI, then I agree that we should have a best practice about referencing them and how to do so.

It may be also valuable to have standard vocabulary for the metadata that describes licences, but since most of us (at least not me) are not legal experts, we certainly don't have the expertise to write the precise legal wording of the licenses or to propose new licence structures and terms, although some people in the group or in W3C might be able to identify the major characteristics that distinguish one kind of licence from another - and use those to inform the development of richer metadata for licences than a single simple predicate that says 'is governed by this licence…'

Best wishes,

- Mark

On 13 Jun 2014, at 15:27, Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>
 wrote:

> Hi João,
>
> Thanks for your comments!
>
> When you say:
> "A General Best Practice applies to all resources, while a Specific Best Practice applies to a specific Resource.”
> You probably meant:
> "A General Best Practice applies to resources of any kind, while a Specific Best Practice applies to a resources of a specific kind (e.g., Datasets, Vocabularies or Licenses).”
>
> Yes! This way is more clear...I'm gonna rewrite :)
>
> I am a bit confused with License as a resource. I understand Dataset and Vocabulary as a resource… But what is meant with License as a resource?
>
> Analysing the use cases and the UC Requirements for Licenses (Section 4.1..5 from [1]), we identify that licenses should also be available in a machine readable format and that standard vocabularies should be used to describe licenses. In this case, I guess that licenses are also something that should be properly published.
>
> However, to create best practices for licenses maybe is out of the scope of the group. Then, we may assume that Licenses are properly published and in our best practices we just propose that "license information should be available".
>
> Does it make sense for you?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernadette
>
> Regards,
> João Paulo
>

> From: Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>
> Date: Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 5:03 AM
> To: "public-dwbp-wg@w3.org" <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
> Subject: BP Guidelines
>
> Hi all,
>
> I created a new wiki page [1] with some guidelines that may help us define the structure of the Best Practices document. This page also shows an attempt to map the use case requirements to possible best practices.
>
> I'd like to ask you to take a look and if possible to give some feedback.
>
> Thank you!
> Bernadette
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Best_practices_guidelines
>
> --
> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> Centro de Informática
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> Centro de Informática
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender.
GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone.
GS1 may monitor communications.
Third party rights acknowledged.
(c) 2012.
</a>