Re: [BP - MET] Fwd: Meta-data types

Hello, Christophe, Maarten, all,

Christophe, thank you for asking Maarten to comment the document.

Maarten, thank you for your comments.

My comments:

·      it> its viewpoint is different than the preservation viewpoint,
leading to another type of categorisation.

We can have a lot of different categorizations chemes.  We can group
metadata types in different schemes, as for example, descriptive,
structural, and administrative, as you pointed. But I think that the types,
per si, are more specific. My intention was to think about metadata from a
task point of view. We are treating Data as a standalone entity without
thinking that at some point these Data would be used in some task. And only
at this point we could know, with certainty, what would be the metadata
that should or must be provided to the user in a way that she could choose
and use it in a proper way. What are the metadata that are useful to help
users in doing the tasks? We have an ecosystem around Data with actors
playing roles and demanding tasks. At some point, independently of the
categorization scheme being used, we would have to define the metadata
types, as for example, provenance, license. etc. We can categorize a
metadata type in more than one categorization scheme. IMHO, the most
important  is to define the specific metadata types.

·      I > I would replace “Use” by “Access”. Given the web-scope, you may
not say anything on usage other than someone accessing it.

I agree that to Use Data one have to Access Data. But things like format,
for example, are not an Access issue. It is a thing related to understand
the semantic of data, and to Use it in a proper way. Data scheme, for
example, is related to Use, not to Access.

> Using the same reasoning, I wonder whether you can make any assumption on
the broker. In that case, the metadata types for Search should contain
-ANY- kind of property imaginable. I’m thinking whether e.g. context is
represented. In SOA environments there are brokers that allow searching on
a specific API/service. This would make all metadata under “use” also
relevant for “search”.

Yes. This is true but this is not a problem of this task categorization
scheme. We never know all the things that someone wants, or should, or must
know before choosing something. What we are doing in the group is trying to
guess the more as we can.

> In general, the overview lacks a clear scope, leading to an unlimited
amount of thoughts, questions, etc.

I agree. But the lack of a clear scope and the unlimited amount of thoughts
and questions is a problem that the WG has since its beginning, and it is
independent of this categorization scheme. They are intrinsic to the
problem. Data on the Web is a big issue and it is difficult to have a clear
scope and to avoid the huge amount of thoughts and questions.

Thank you, again, for your comments.

Best Regards,
Laufer