Re: DWBP Audience

Hi Bernadette,

I’m a bit late to this conversation but have read and understand that changes which have now been made since you originally proposed this section for inclusion.
I have the following proposals in addition to what is on the wiki as of Dec 5th 2014.

"This document provides guidance to those who publish data on the Web, but also to those who consume data on the Web."

Are we making a differentiation between people who “consume data on the Web” and “consume data from the Web”? I understand that the working group name is Data on the Web Best Practices, so I think it I important to get this right.

Additionally, what aspects of the current working document [0] concerns “those who consume data on the Web”? Right now I see very little. My understanding is that the document is best practices guidance aimed more towards “…those who publish data on the Web”. I do however also see similar language presented at the very beginning of the current working document. What seems to be missing however is the actual content relating to “those who consume data on the Web”. Can we clarify?

[0] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html

"These best practices have been written to meet the needs of many different audiences from developers and information management staff to scientists interested on sharing data on the Web. Every attempt has been made to make the document as readable and usable as possible while still retaining the accuracy and clarity needed in a technical specification.”

We seem to be using terminology for “guidance” and “best practices” synonymously/interchangeably.  I am not sure that this is a good idea. I would proposed that we either stick with either one or the other. The difference here would be that guidance is suggested but of secondary/tertiary importance whereas best practice is moving towards 5 star data on the Web.

"Readers of this document are expected to be familiar with some fundamental concepts of the architecture of the Web [1], such as resources and URIs, as well as open data formats [ref]. Basic knowledge about vocabularies and ontologies would be helpful to better understand some aspects of this document.”

I think that we should clarify exactly where "…some aspects of this document.” are. This could maybe be a footnote of these are permitted.

Hopefully the criticism/commentary can be taken positively. Thank you for proposing the Audience as this is a part of any document I immediately navigate towards if it is available.

Thank you

Lewis

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney PhD, B.Sc., MAGU
Engineering Applications Software Engineer Level 2
Computer Science for Data Intensive Systems Group 398M
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099
Mail Stop : 158-256C
Tel:  (+1) (818)-393-7402
Cell: (+1) (626)-487-3476
Fax:  (+1) (818)-393-1190
Email: lewis.j.mcgibbney@jpl.nasa.gov

           [cid:3BEF5A94-9247-493D-8C58-968BA92F8457]

 Dare Mighty Things