RE: ACTION-10 Possible contribution to the topic from DANS

Christophe,

From: Christophe Guéret [mailto:christophe.gueret@dans.knaw.nl]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:04 PM
To: CARRASCO BENITEZ Manuel (DGT)
Cc: Christophe Gueret; public-dwbp-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ACTION-10 Possible contribution to the topic from DANS

Hoi Tomas,

The rationale:
  - Simple URIs  - shortening  services are a symptom of bad URIs
+1 though machines don't care as much about bloated URIs as we do ;-)

In the NeXT period, people talked about napkin transportable URI: something that one could write down in a napkin like a telephone number.

 - Previous versions - related to time or not
Yes, there could be anything that differentiate two instances of the (changed) same thing

Previous versions should be variants which can be addressed with different techniques including URIs
   http://example.com/foo          # the resource
   http://example.com/foo3        # the variant version 3 pointed to with a URI, but also it could be with the Header fields

https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Data_on_the_Web_URI_Best_Practices#URI_and_HTTP

Version 3 could have the metadata time indicating when it was created.

 - Works with "file" and "http" - see MED https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/site/med

URI examples
   local
      file:///foo                                       # latest
      file:///foo3                                     # version 3

   network
      http://example.com/foo

      http://example.com/foo3
But then it's rather hard to see that 3 is the third version of "foo".

Here comes into play the Art of URI Construction: users will click on a page and people would learn how the URIs a constructed. Most user guessing's should be correct

   http://example.com/foo2

The construction rationale could be explained in a separated page.

E.g. is http://nl.dbpedia.org/resource/Ww2 the version 2 of http://nl.dbpedia.org/resource/Ww ?

There are also some organisations that use the date as versions, with for example http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/ for the latest version of something and http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-vocab-data-cube-20140116/ or http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/PR-vocab-data-cube-20131217/ for specific versions. That sounds like a good idea ;-) - but, again, can be hard to parse

Name-dropping :-)   I am a friend of Larry Masinter
   http://larry.masinter.net

Long-term archiving is one of his pet subjects
   http://larry.masinter.net/0603-archiving.pdf

Thanks for the pointer! I'll have a look.
Just one more pointer: he is one of the co-authors of http RFC
Regards
Tomas
Regards,
Christophe