Re: Proposed changes to DPV to include Non-Personal Data

Hi Pat. Thanks for the replies - all good suggestions. I also would not
like the IRI to change.

Two important points to clarify for everyone:

1) Terms about non personal-data being in a separate extension: some
basic concepts, e.g. NonPersonalData or LegalBasisForNonPersonalData,
would be in DPV. The DPVCG scope does not plan to expand further than
these and the focus would still be on personal data related concepts. So
ideally, an extension would not be needed, but if there are things that
do not seem to be useful to keep in DPV then yes they should be in an
extension.

2) For option 1 (redefine existing concepts) - in practical terms there
is no changes required for existing use-cases. E.g. if they are using
Purpose or Processing - it would continue to be correct in terms of
still referring to 'purpose' and 'processing' as intended. So this is
not exactly a totally incompatible change unless people are relying on
Purpose being *defined* to only refer to personal data - but I do not
know of any such cases.

---

REMINDER: Github repo structure/links should not be relied on, and
instead the IRIs should be used. For example, the link to DPV should be
https://w3id.org/dpv and *should not* be https://w3c.github.io/dpv/dpv/.
The former is a permenent link and will not change. The latter is an
implementation detail and may change.

This is relevant as there is a proposal to restructure the Github repo
content to have better organisation - the intention being to keep the
IRI the same. Details of this are at the end of this email:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dpvcg/2023Jul/0003.html If
an implementation relies on the github links - this will cause issues as
things change.

---

Regards, Harsh

On 14/07/2023 12:25, Pat McBennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I just heard about this proposal from Beatriz today, and I like it!
>
> My opinion is YES to question 1 (although I wouldn't advocate changing
> the namespace IRI - instead I would suggest all users of DPV (or users
> of any vocab!) adopt internal processes to deal with major version
> changes to the vocabs they use. A great example of a popular vocab doing
> this today (and for a very long time already!) is 'gist
> <https://www.semanticarts.com/gist/>', from Semantic Arts. They
> regularly release new versions, including major verison bumps (e.g.,
> they just released version 12.0.0!), and do so without ever changing the
> Namespace IRI of gist.
>
> On question two, I'd say YES to Option 1 (but again, no namespace IRI
> change - users need to adapt to handle vocab version updates - i.e.,
> they need to process the `<https://w3id.org/dpv <https://w3id.org/dpv>>
> owl:versionInfo "2" .` triple of the vocab. The sooner they start doing
> this the better for everyone, as changes and updates will (hopefully!)
> continue well belong this proposal).
>
> One point I'd make (or question really), is if there are new terms
> required to satisfy non-Personal Data use-cases that are considered
> purely applicable in only non-Personal Data use-cases, then rather than
> put those terms in the current DPV Core, or in DPV-PD, perhaps just
> create a new DPV-NonPD extension vocab, and put them in there. (I'm not
> sure if there are such terms, but I assume there might very well be over
> time...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pat.
>

> *Pat McBennett*, Technical Architect
>
> Contact  | patm@inrupt.com <mailto:patm@inrupt.com>
>
> Connect | WebID <http://pmcb55.inrupt.net/profile/card#me>, GitHub
> <https://github.com/pmcb55>
>
> Explore  | www.inrupt.com <http://www.inrupt.com/>
>

> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged,
> confidential and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended
> recipient of this e-mail (or the person responsible for delivering this
> document to the intended recipient), please do not disseminate,
> distribute, print or copy this e-mail, or any attachment thereto. If you
> have received this e-mail in error, please respond to the individual
> sending the message, and permanently delete the email.

Harshvardhan J. Pandit, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
ADAPT Centre, Dublin City University
https://harshp.com/