Re: Risk Assessment concepts

Hi Rob - thanks (again) for the inputs.

---

Re. mitigated by relation - I understand why it should be "addressed"
rather than "mitigated", but we already have 'mitigation' in DPV from
the wording in GDPR and others. In this case, the 'mitigation' label is
really meant to be a mitigation or reduction of risk.

Also, we have not touched upon 'controls' and 'treatment' e.g.
detection, monitoring, avoid, share, etc. which are not 'mitigation'.
They also 'address' a risk - so if this is what you mean then we can
have 'addressedBy' as the parent relation for mitigation and these
concepts which all point to risk. Does this fit what you have in mind?

---

Re. moving risk concepts to RISK extension - IF I am interpreting you
correctly, I don't think anything else in DPV makes use of Risks, but we
do have a lot of other extensions and applications use it (e.g. DPIA).
So maybe its better to keep the existing terms in DPV, and repeat them
in RISK extension with sameAs relations.

---

Separately, how do we express or distinguish 'potential consequences'
from 'materialised consequences' for an incident? Context is information
required to answer the question: what are potential consequences arising
from a data breach incident and how will you mitigate them?

I can think of two ways:

1) We express another Risk instance with Incident as the cause (incident
as Threat?); and then express the consequences of this Risk with their
likelihood etc. This matches the definitions of Risk and Incident as
being potential and realised events respectively, but forces creation of
another Risk instance whereas most use-cases would typically want to do
"has potential consequence" directly.

:Incident dpv:hasConsequence :Consequence-A . # consequence of incident
:Incident dpv:hasRisk :Risk . # incident leads to more risks
:Risk dpv:hasConsequence :Consequence-B . # potential consequences

2) We associate a consequence with incident, and declare the consequence
as a risk to indicate it is potential. If the potential consequence is
realised, another instance of consequence as an incident is declared
which can be associated with its risk (assessment). I think I like this
more because it works better with data breach / incident reporting, but
I don't know if this is okay for general risk documentation.

:Incident dpv:hasConsequence :Consequence-B .
:Consequence-B a dpv:Risk, dpv:Consequence . # risk = potential event
:Incident dpv:hasConsequence :Consequence-C .
:Consequence-C a dpv:Incident ; dpv:refersToRisk :Consequence-B .

In your modelling, you have 'characterised by' relation for risks to
consequences, and 'has consequence' label for incident to consequences.
In DPV, we prefer to keep the hasConsequence label for any concept that
is associated with a consequence to simplify the use in many different
places.

Regards,
Harsh