Re: License for DPV

Harsh,

this fell between the cracks.

On 05/01/2022 17:00, Harshvardhan J. Pandit wrote:
> Hello. I received a query as to what license is applicable when using DPV.

For the DPV, the license is in the CLA that has different licenses
depending on the status. For Drafts, the CLA applies which is mainly a
license to use the contribution. The CLA is rather copyright centric and
allows someone to contribute without giving a full patent license to the
entire technology in the Spec. This is less relevant for a vocabulary.

> Since we haven't indicated one anywhere, my assumption was that the W3C
> license applies:
> https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document
> (tldr; use as you want with attribution)

No, it does not. For CGs the CLA applies which allows for derivative
works. The question only becomes relevant, once the Group wants to
create a recommendation.

> Please let me know your comments/suggestions. Based on the decision,
> there will be a LICENSE file added to the GitHub repo and text mentioned
> in specs and other documents.

No need for that as the CLA applies.

> Note that contributions to DPV are made as under W3C CLA
> https://www.w3.org/community/about/process/cla/ This question is about
> using DPV.

The CLA gives a license to use the document for any purpose (including
making a competing standard)

Hope that helps

  --Rigo