Re: DPV-TECH extention published

Hi Harsh, Guys,

A quick comment on the technology subject definition :

"TechnologySubject and hasSubject is the subject of the technology i.e.
whom the technology is used on or subjected to. This may be directly
(e.g. person within a CCTV camera's vision) or indirectly (e.g. person
whose details were used as training data)"

Breaking this down, I think we need to be more precise definition of
being 'subjected to' technology. I

If you parse this as the option ""TechnologySubject and hasSubject is
the subject of the technology i.e. whom the technology [is used on or]
subjected to." that essentially a circular definitions, so doesn't tell
you much.

If you parse it as: "TechnologySubject and hasSubject is the subject of
the technology i.e. whom the technology is used on [or subjected to.]",
that's a bit better but might leave the reader still wondering what
classifies as 'used on'.

Further, neither of these to my mind necessarily imply case that your
data is used for training. In this case this it is more that the
technology is built with your data (which is perhaps sufficiently
captured by the GDPR definition of data subject) but doesn't necessarily
imply that the technology is used 'on' you, or even that your are ever
'subjected to' the technology.

So I might suggest

i) define 'subjected to' instead as 'affected or potentially affected by
the technology' (note this wording is in part inspired by the general
definition of 'stakeholder' in ISO

ii) consider treating actors whose data is used for training separately
somehow, e.g. by just relying on the existing 'data subject' definition.

I acknowledge that the implication of these suggestions is that if a
person's data is fully anonymised and used for ML training and the
resulting technology does not affect or potentially affect that person,
then they would fall out of the definition of 'technology subject'. But
I think that's probably OK.

Regards,

Dave

--
Note: My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply outside of your normal working hours.

Dave Lewis
Head of AI Discipline:
School of Computer Science and Statistics, Trinity College Dublin
Deputy Director: ADAPT Centre, https://www.adaptcentre.ie