Re: Proposal and notes for Consent Concepts

Hi. Thank you for the comments. My replies are inline.

On 19/07/2022 13:14, Mark Lizar wrote:
> Although in data protection law, explicit, informed, and meaningful consent is defined. This represents one data governance risk vector but doesn’t actually address the individuals governance risk vector or a shared/community  governance risk frameworks.

I've just transposed the legal requirements, nothing else here.
Everything else is subjective and difficult to represent in the
interests of interoperability.

>> On Jul 15, 2022, at 7:07 PM, Harshvardhan J. Pandit<me@harshp.com>  wrote:
>>

>> **New Concepts**
>>
>> 1.  ConsentRecord subtype of DataProcessingRecords
>> 2.  ConsentStatus subtype of Status, with subtypes Unknown, Requested, Refused,
>>     Given, Expired, Invalidated, Revoked, Reaffirmed
>> 3.  ConsentExpression with subtypes UninformedConsent, and InformedConsent - which
>>     has more subtypes as ImpliedConsent, and ExpressedConsent - which has more
>>     subtypes as ExplicitlyExpressedConsent.
> # 3 seems very complicated -

Not complicated enough - it doesn't include Freely Given, Unambigious,
etc ... ;) But we'd add these in DPV-GDPR.

>  From the human centric perspective everything can be interpreted as sometype of consent .

We're scoping ourselves to data protection / privacy laws and terms for
the group.

> e.g. implied, implicit, explicit, directed or even altruistic - the quality of the consent provided can be informed, meaningful and explicit, and all of these indicate a state of consent.  But not it’s status - which is missing - and I like

Not sure what you mean by status, but there is a concept for the
state/status of consent as expected for its validity.

>> **Breaking backwards compatibility**
>>
>> -   IF there are strong considerations for existing use of these properties, we
>>     can offer a "sunset period" where the current concepts/properties will
>>     continue to be in DPV for a period of time after which they will be
>>     retired, with a note to this effect in the spec. The new concepts will be
>>     added now and will be indicated as the preferred ones.
> Which properties ?

Existing properties specified for consent, i.e.
https://w3c.github.io/dpv/dpv/#vocab-consent

>> -   It is no longer possible to express both 'given time' and 'withdrawal time'
>>     over the same instance of consent. However, this loss has made awy to indicate
>>     a wider range of 'states' such as refused and reaffirmed which need their own
>>     timestamps (such as under GDPR and EU-DSA)
> Does re-affirmed = renewed?

Yes, reaffirmed means to affirm or confirm something (again). "renew"
would mean to repeat or reaffirm as well, but I chose what I thought was
the most clear term to indicate confirming/granting again (i.e.
repetition) that would not be confused again (e.g. repeating earlier
refusal).

Regards,
Harshvardhan J. Pandit, Ph.D
Research Fellow