Re: Mixing classes and instances

Hi Harsh,

Thank you very much for this investigation!

Three comments:

First, there’s one thing that I’d like to correct you on. In [1] state:

“Note that mixing SKOS and OWL for both classes and instances would turn this into OWL-Full and cause issues when using a reasoner, like this:”

This is not correct. OWL2 DL supports “punning”, which means that the semantics of a resource depends on the context in which it is used. So, if I have the axioms:

  1.  ex:A rdf:type owl:Class
  2.  ex:B rdf:type owl:Class
  3.  ex:A ex:relatedTo ex:B

In axioms 1) and 2), ex:A and ex:B are interpreted as part of the T-Box.
In axiom 3), ex:A and ex:B are interpreted as part of the A-Box.

Given that A-Box and T-Box are stratified in OWL DL, the semantics of 1) and 2) vs. 3) do not interact at all.

This means that, when translated to DPV, e.g.:

  1.  dpv:PersonalDataHandling rdf:type owl:Class
  2.  dpv:PersonalDataCategory rdf:type owl:Class
  3.  dpv:PersonalDataHandling dpv:hasPersonalDataCategory dpv:PersonalDataCategory

Axiom 3) does not pertain to the dpv:PersonalDataHandling and dpv:PersonalDataCategory *as classes*, only *as individuals*. Axiom 3) also does not pertain to any of the subclasses of the two.

Note, also, that under OWL Full, this behavior is essentially the same: there is no inheritance between axioms on classes and their instances.

Second comment:

The notion of high level “types” that are instances of owl:Class and skos:Concept, while others are only instance of skos:Concept to seems to indicate that these top level types are not meant to be used directly. Why not then keep those as instance of owl:Class, and have their instances be skos:Concept?

Third comment:

You are right in pointing out the intransitivity of skos:broader/skos:narrower (and I’m also always confused about their direction!). However, these are not super properties of skos:broaderTransitive/skos:narrowerTransitive, they are sub-properties. The code at the bottom of [1] is correct, but the bullet point where you discuss this is not.

Thanks again, this is a great start!

Best,

Rinke

--
Rinke Hoekstra
Lead Architect – Knowledge

Emails can arrive at all hours, but at Elsevier we respect your personal time. Feel free to respond to this email during your normal working hours.