Expanding DPV to more global privacy laws

Dear All,

I agree with Georg's (of Signatu) comments in an earlier email [1]
regarding potential use towards global privacy laws.

In terms of actions, I propose:

1) Make DPV generic in its definition of concepts

a. Identify which concepts are defined based on GDPR in the current
iteration - such as in the definition

b. Decouple them from the GDPR i.e. move the GDPR specific items to
comments/description and have a generic definition

2) Identify relevant global privacy laws and standards as requirements

a. I propose including CCPA (California Consumer Protection Act) [2] for
legal basis and concepts; and ISO privacy standards (27000-series) as
notation of technical and organisational measures

b. Identify concept overlap/reuse - and what needs to be added i.e. for
compatibility

Personally, I am enthusiastic about the potential of DPV, and how it can
be used for challenges we are facing regarding transparency in use of AI
- and as any future regulation about AI would rely on existing data
protection and privacy laws, the DPV could provide the basis of
representing data protection/privacy practices.

Regards,

Harsh

[1] Public mailing list
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dpvcg/2020Mar/0002.html

[2] Assembly Bill No. 35
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB375

On 02/03/2020 13:53, Georg Philip Krog wrote:
> *2. A suggestion to make a dpv that is global/universal*
>
> Currently, the dpv is specific for the EU/GDPR.
>
> A universal dpv should have a structure that allows for meta mapping
> of the same concepts that are named differently in different
> jurisdictions/law regimes.

Harshvardhan Pandit
PhD Researcher
ADAPT Centre