Re: Purpose categories in the online context

Hi Harsh, Everyone.

Thank you for your comments.

Please see my answers to your comments.

3) Analytics

Several of the vendors in Signatu 3rd party registry offer analytic tools
that are integrated into sites (e.g. Matomo, Google Analytics, Hotjar etc).

Several of these tools offer analytics/insights into end user behaviour
without combining these tools with other tools. Hence, the “output” of such
tools is “analytics” alone, e.g. events on URLs. It is up to the website
owner to use this insight to achieve another purpose, e.g. personalisation.
In my view, that is a new purpose.

4) Advertising

Advertising is a “big bucket” if one includes all the technologies that are
used to programmatically serve an ad to an end user. However, if one looks
at the end result for the end user, it is the end user that sees an ad on a
site/app, and that ad was served based on different parameters which may or
may not include the end user profile. If the latter was the case, then one
could say it was a personalised ad.

“Marketing” is often used for direct marketing towards an end user, e.g.
communication of marketing info via e-mail, sms etc. A topic of discussion
in the e-Privacy Reg. is whether ad serving based on profiling is direct
marketing.

5) Cloud infrastructure and traffic distribution

Agree. “Cloud infrastructure and traffic distribution” is a further
specification.

6) Communication is the same as customer care.

7) Document consent are the words used in the GDPR (Article 7.1).

I am fine with record consent.

However, some contend that “record” is not a requirement.

8) Content Management

Agree that it falls under Service Provision. So does “Cloud infrastructure
and traffic distribution”.

Our customers wanted to be more specific, and thus wanted “Content
Management” to enable end users to understand that one technology allows a
site owner to create, design and store content while another technology
would distribute the content.

9) Customer Management is about managing the lifecycle of a customer (who
are prospective customers? Who are existing customers one can “upsale” to?
Who are terminated customers? etc) and is not about customer support.

11) Marketing should be added. It is defined in the ePD and in the upcoming
ePR and also in many national marketing laws.

13) Payment and fraud detection should be separate classes/categories.

14) Personalisation depends on/is enabled by profiling, so are these two
different purposes or one?

15) Survey and Reviews - agree that it is what is being done with the
survey data that is the purpose.

16) Search can be search within or outside a site, so not necessarily
Service Provision.

17) Security - agree with you.

18) Single Sign-on - agree with you.

19) Social Media - Isn't this part of Marketing? Yes. One can integrate
social media on a site to lead end users to the site´s social media
accounts, or one can embed social sharing buttons etc to enable end users
to share content from the site.

20) Tag management is a technology that allows a site to determine which
tags that should fire where and when etc.

Regards,

Georg

--
Georg Philip Krog