Re: dpvcg-ACTION-48: Look into classifications of organisations that could serve as a basis for clsssifying data controllers

From: Harshvardhan J. Pandit <me@harshp.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 21:17:19 +0100
To: public-dpvcg@w3.org
Hello all.
Other than the distinction between Controller and Processor, I could not
find much usable categorisation beyond what we discussed in terms of
domains for purpose.
Regardless, below is a gist of what I have collected so far.
Other than these, I think there can be more practical categorisation of
processors in terms of what they provide to the data controller - e.g.
infrastructure provider, data cruncher (analysis), advertiser,
financial, security, etc.

* business
	* service
	* merchandising
	* manufacturing

* ownership
	* propreitership
	* partnership
	* corporation
	* LLC (corp + partner)
	* co-operative
	* limited (private, public)

* profit
	* for profit
	* not for profit
	* NGO

* size
	* micro, small, medium-sized (SME)
	* multinational

* sector
	* private
	* public
	* third / social

* broad types of services
	* accounting
	* advertising
	* cleaning
	* service
	* education
	* e-commerce
	* entertainment
	* fashion
	* financial
	* healthcare
	* hospitality
	* insurance
	* IT
	* law
	* mass surveilance
	* media
	* online services
	* public services
	* retail
	* sex
	* sports
	* tourism
	* transport
	* travel

* tangibility
	* tangible
		* services for people (health-care, food)
		* services for goods (transport, repair)
	* intangible
		* directed at people
			* education
			* media