Re: draft text for charter

Avneesh, all,

Thank you. Comments, questions below

> On 13 Feb 2017, at 06:03, Avneesh Singh <avneesh.sg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much.
> I have used George's draft as base, incorporated simplification of Debra and did minor adaptations.
> The objectives are:
> 1. To ensure that accessibility normative requirements are delivered along with Digital publishing specifications.
> 2. To Generalize the accessibility requirements specific to digital publishing in other W3C technologies over the course of time.
>
> The text now reads as follows. Please feel free to improve it further.
>
> The Digital Publishing Working Group will incorporate accessibility considerations into the Working Group's deliverables. All recommendation-track deliverables will contain one or more options to meet normative accessibility requirements. General W3C accessibility requirements such as WCAG will be integrated as a matter of course; the extended requirements will be identified as conformance requirements in the Digital Publishing Working Group's normative specifications.

I am not sure it is worth to say "All recommendations-track deliverables" instead of "All deliverables". At this moment, we only have rec-track deliverables; but if we publish notes on topic or another, that may be part of the pledge as well.

On the other hand… committing to "all" deliverables like that may not be absolutely precise and may be seen as too restrictive. If, for example, we indeed take up (this is pending!) JavaScript APIs as described in the charter draft, I am not sure accessibility requirements will apply there. Maybe use in the text something like 'when applicable', or 'if it becomes necessary' or something like that?

A final thing: during our latest call somebody raised the issue of what the fate of the W3C accessibility note, as well as the EPUB accessibility document will be. Your text may not cover that. To take an example, the DPUB WG may not address pagination directly, because that may be, after all, in the realm of the CSS WG + Houdini, therefore none of our recommendation will cover the pagination-related a11y issues. I think one alternative was that we would discuss with the WCAG WG on whether the DPUB WG would publish, on rec-track, a separate WCAG-like document; what happened to that idea?

> The Digital Publishing Working Group will coordinate with the appropriate W3C groups (WAI, WCAG, ARIA etc.) to integrate accessibility requirements created as part of our recommendation-track deliverables in to generalized technology. One or more pipeline of the requirements will be maintained to manage diverse turnaround times of the W3C groups.

That is fine as a separate text (although, to be precise, there is no such group as 'WAI'). But there has to be a mention in the liaison section for each of these groups. But that is a minor thing.

I hope this helps

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C