Re: magazines and OWP (was Re: Prioritisation)

Hi, Leonard–

On 8/10/15 1:59 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> As with you, we (Adobe) does believe that the OWP is a key set of
> technologies that should be available to our customers for their
> publishing needs.  However, we don’t believe that it is the only set of
> technologies as they should be able to choose the solution that fits
> their content.  It may be that today there is a greater demand for PDF
> (or raster) based on designers with print-centric backgrounds and
> missing pieces in the OWP stable…

Just as a point for consideration, the Web Platform, as well as EPUB,
already has explicit and inherent ability to use mixed content and
raster images, for those print-centric designers. (Of course, there may
be accessibility issues with raster-only, but that's another matter.)

So, really, the question of choice you seem to be asking about is having
a clear way to include PDF (not rasters, which already work) as part of
that mixed content. I'm not sure of the technical solution to that, but
I just wanted to clarify that you seem to be specifically asking for PDF
support.

Certainly, many people, including journals, still use PDF, so it's not
an absurd request.

Regards–
–Doug