Re: CSS Pages and Pagination (was: Prioritisation)

Sanders Kleinfeld wrote:

 > Paged Media does not yet meet every single one of our needs (e.g., we
 > fall back on XSLT postprocessing of XHTML to generate text nodes for
 > cross-reference in a more sophisticated fashion than currently
 > supported by CSS Generated Content for Paged Media)
 > but it meets most of them,

It warms my heart to hear this.

 > and the fact that there are professional-grade tools available that
 > implement it (we use AntennaHouse) makes it viable to center a
 > print publishing program around the specification. I can't yet say
 > the same for any other spec.

Exactly. Gradual improvements Paged Media seems like a viable way
forward, rather than a "let's kill all the sheep and start with goats"
approarch. I've been adding some features here:

  https://figures.spec.whatwg.org
  https://books.spec.whatwg.org

As always, specifications are quite useless without implementations,
so I'm reluctant to add more until implementations catch up. But I'd
be interested in hearing your list of requirements for
cross-references.

 > And I'll echo Daniel and Tzviya with a big thumbs up for the excellent
 > work Dave Cramer and others are doing to evolve and enhance GCPM.

We have consensus: Dave is great!

-h&kon