Re: CSS Pages and Pagination (was: Prioritisation)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 17:55:40 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: public-digipub@w3.org
Also sprach Daniel Glazman:

 > I choke every time I see the 16
 > margin boxes specified in CSS Paged Media and the associated magic...

You have repeatedly made it clear that you dislike this spec [1][2]. Others
find it quite useful and use it to publish printed publications in
HTML/CSS, e.g.:

  http://css4.pub/

It's quite magical, actually :)

The 16 margin boxes makes it possible to replicate real-world running
headers, which can be quite complex. Here are some samples:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/css3/samples.jpg

If you still disagree, I'd like to see the code you propose using for
the challenge posted in [3].

 > There is some resistance to changes there, again often for quite
 > bad reasons. With other concepts like Templates, Regions, Shapes
 > and Exclusions we could certainly specify much more powerful - and even
 > simpler - page models. We need implementors for that, and that's where
 > you all can help. The CSS WG is where it should happen.

Or you can use Prince and AntennaHouse which already provide
interoperable implementation of many features from Paged Media.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0133.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0163.html
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0169.html

Cheers,