Re: [latinreq] ED 2014-03-12 comments

On Mon, June 23, 2014 4:13 pm, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
>> 1. When accessed using HTTPS as https://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/,
>> Firefox (at least) doesn't show the ToC, etc., and only shows them once
>> blocking of non-encrypted content is disabled.
>
> All the generated text comes from Robin Berjon's ReSpec, which is a JS
> library for specs. Is it important enough to access editor's drafts via
> HTTPS to file a bug with ReSpec?

It's not so much that I chose HTTPS as that the web browser is set up to
automatically prefer HTTPS and doesn't have an exclusion for github.io.
It's sorted for me now, but it may come up for someone else.  Whether it's
a bug in ReSpec, in ReSpec usage, or in 'HTTPS Everywhere' is open to
interpretation.

>> 3. Section 11, Tables
>>
>> Should the text say something about the practice of using lining figures
>> in tables?
>
> Is there widespread agreement about this? Lots of books use old-style
> figures in tables, and some fonts even include old-style tabular figures.
> Financial tables may have very different requirements than scientific
> tables. I'd welcome input from subject matter experts about this.

You can, of course, get emphatic but conflicting advice about this.  I was
trying to be neutral with "the practice", above, since there is no one
answer.

I was using 'lining' where, from [1], I see I should have been using
'tabular'.  Having a glossary and examples in Latinreq would help (and, at
present, Latinreq doesn't have a reference to CSS Fonts).

Regards,

Tony Graham                                         tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#font-variant-numeric-prop