BDF (Browser Document Format)

From: Mike Perlman <perlmanm@me.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:49:56 +0100
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi Everyone

In the interest of clarity, purpose and direction, I am proposing the group consider the following as a way to define a vision and a means to effectively realise it.

I propose that the group name the standard BDF - Browser Document Format.

I think the term "browser" most accurately describes the common paradigm unifying the effort.

BDF is a holistic vision of how the Open Web Platform covers the basic ways documents are commonly used - a complete solution from web page to file to printer.

The 4 pillars of BDF:
1. Open Web Platform HTML with additional optional features
2. Caching for pervasive access of browser content
3. Offline Url for a file and compressed containers (evolved from File Url)
4. Print CSS for a paginated and/or paper copy

Each of the pillars exists today, although they can be improved and enhanced.
While this evolutionary process should be linear and iterative, collectively these innovations will be revolutionary.

I have published a slightly more detailed explanation here:
https://medium.com/@Mac2net/bdf-browser-document-format-78ca50e7c534?source=linkShare-bebe0c67194-1479818607 <https://medium.com/@Mac2net/bdf-browser-document-format-78ca50e7c534?source=linkShare-bebe0c67194-1479818607>

Mike Perlman