Re: HTML-Note and bibliographies

On Tue, 2016-04-26 at 06:47 -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
> See my correction e-mail.  However, what you are really talking about
> is the "label" for the note, not the actual reference to the
> note.  Although
> they both require (presumably similar) styling.

Often the reference for a footnote in text is superscripted but the
numbers next to the actual note are not superscripted and are at normal
size followed by a full stop and space (US: period).

For a bibliography there may be parenthises or brackets around the
reference (Smith, 1961) in the text, and those parenthises may be
absent in the actual sorted bilbliography. Sorting may be by senior
author (e.g. in mathematics) or by date, and there may be references
that are not cited (which is usually frowned upon except in an
annotated bibliography, but that's not for the formatting system to
decide!)

> CSS Counter Styles Level 3 [1] (which is a CR) has fairly rich
> support for this, and is how I envisioned footnotes being supported
> natively.  I had not thought about styling the "counter" on the note
> itself.  Presumably that is possible but I am not an expert on that
> spec nor its take up.
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/css-counter-styles-3/

I think there are significant take-up problems. But hey, more use cases
might help provde motivation. Firefox seems to be the only browser
listed on caniuse.com to support @counter-style.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>