RE: web resource and terminology

Getting rid of "collate" is a useful step toward clarity, but I'm not suggesting dropping resources for content. What I'm saying is that you're already using content without any clear definition of what you mean when you use it, and that's equally confusing.

To run through your definitions again, from web resource:

> and whose content can be accessed

What does content mean here? A style sheet has content that can be accessed by any protocol. It's like you're trying to scope the RDF meaning of web resource here without stating why this even matters. There's a difference between the content of a file and the content that gets consumed by a user. WCAG recognizes this, but you took two sub-definitions and omitted stating what content is. It leaves me having to read between the lines.

> Essential Content of a Web Resource: if removed, would fundamentally change the information or functionality of the content.

Here content becomes "essential", but the only "content" mentioned so far is the data of the resource. Isn't all the data of a single resource fundamental? Why would any user agent be removing bytes of data? This statement makes no sense unless I go off on my own tangent and assume that you don't really mean the data of the resource anymore but (perhaps) other resources that are referenced by the resource (e.g., images, audio, video, etc.).

I'd ask in that case why essential content isn't defined under web document, since the impact is on the document, whether or not it affects a particular resource. If you remove certain essential resources, I can follow that you break the fundamental information/functionality expressed by the document.

Anyway, I'm running out of steam. Most casual readers I suppose skip right over terminology, anyway, and read whatever meaning they want into documents from their titles and loose skimming of the content...

Matt