Re: [Glossary] Portable Digital Document's states

Because I believe the differentiation between online/offline is more important for some criteria (such as identification) while others are more relevant for file/protocol (such as signatures).

I agree that a UA that is working entirely from protocols doesn’t know local vs. remote. However, a UA (or more likely the RS on top of the UA) may wish to implement file-based processing.   So the method of access has a clear impact on identification and other things.

Leonard

From: Ivan Herman
Date: Monday, September 21, 2015 at 9:45 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG, "Brady com>", Ralph Swick, Bill Kasdorf
Subject: Re: [Glossary] Portable Digital Document's states

On 21 Sep 2015, at 15:30 , Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:

I think it depends on what you are trying to “profile”…

Is it identification?  Security?  Signatures?   What??

I am not sure how this refers to the the choice between online/offline vs. file/protocol.

I also think that a UA should be free to choose which method it uses for working with local content.  It may choose to process it as a file OR it may have a local server and process it indirectly that way.  Both would/should be valid.

I do not think we said, at any time, that any of those are valid/invalid. But a UA, I presume, does not know whether a content accessed via HTTP(S) is local or not: it is all HTTP(S). Again, I am not sure how this affects the choice of the various states we want to consider

Ivan

Leonard