Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 14:52:29 -0400
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Deborah Kaplan <dkaplan@safaribooksonline.com>, Ralph Swick <swick@w3.org>, Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>, Bill McCoy <bmccoy@idpf.org>
On 2015-09-08 09:31, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> A **Portable (Web) Document** is a Web Document that should provide a
> graceful degradation when presented to the user even offline. A
> Portable Web Document should also be able to adapt to the user's
> needs.

I haven't followed all of this thread, but maybe that's good since a
definition should stand alone...

How is that definition different from every other Web document?
How do we test whether a document meets the definition?

Examples that meet the definition:
* a Web page that needs an android-only plugin but that works offline is
portable by this definition, even though it's platform-specific
* a Web page for an interactive scheduling system that degrades to an
image of this month's calendar when used offline is portable
* the project gutenberg electronic edition of encyclopaedia britannica
in 11 volumes (maybe; see below)... although it might not fit on your
portable device.

Possible examples that don't meet the definition:
* a wikipedia page has links that can't be followed
* an ecommerce site such as ebay or amazon,where you can't buy
   things when offline (or is that graceful?)
* a text file that doesn't translate itself if the user needs to read it
and doesn't speak the original language (i.e. what exactly is meant by
adapting to a user's needs?)

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C