Re: pagination features in web apps vs. browsers. (was: Re: [Meeting Summary] Meeting summary for 2015-08-31)

One more thing:

As for features I have requested from CSS Houdini to be able to do
pagination-related features in the browser in JavaScript: They are all
related to fragmentation/breaking.

The most useful would be if we could get an API that gives us access to the
following information:

A. If I WERE TO put content X into container Z, where WOULD the line breaks
in content X occur?

b. If I WERE TO put content X into container Z, how much of X WOULD fit
into Z without causing overflow?

This should be quite useful for a number of things, such as creating
pagination containers, finding out how much space one has left for the main
body text on a page after taking footnotes into consideration, creating
pages with lines of variable lengths, etc. . The reason the two are
formulated in the subjunctive is that many/most times one will inquiry
several times about where things are to go before actually placing them.
For example, one may have a text one wants to fill in a page and therefore
use method B to find out how much would fit on the first page. Once one
figures that out, one can see how many footnotes there are in that content.
So one goes ahead and calculates the space needed for footnotes and has to
ask again how much of the content now would go into the the first page.
Then one finds that some of the footnotes no longer are on the first page,
etc. . It is currently possible through various hacks to more or less
figure out how much content actually fits into a given container and where
line breaks actually take place, but that means one needs to let the
browser draw everything first, then measure, then most likely redraw again,
etc. . Besides being a hack with not entirely certain results, altogether
all the drawing and redrawing operations makes the process rather slow.

Besides that, it would be an obvious advantage if we could rely on
something like CSS Regions to be available in all browsers.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com