From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 9:58 AM
To: Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>
Cc: Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>; Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>; Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>; public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: FW: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

On 13 November 2015 at 15:49, Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu<mailto:jongund@illinois.edu>> wrote:
Steve,

It seems like we are always finding complicated and indirect ways to show important relationships for long descriptions and instructions.

ARIA doesn’t even define a role=”description” or role=”instructions” even though we talk about defining relationships to these concepts all the time and WCAG 2.0 defines “description” and “instructions” relationships as important for accessibility.

Just trying to represent the author in these issues in proposing solutions that simplifies accessibility for authors.

Hi Jon, talking about this use case how is use of details/summary overcomplicating?
I am all for supporting authors, but don't want us to waste time on speciing new features such as img twisty that I am sure will not get implementer support.

As far as aria defining new roles, i belive that role=description is already being discussed.
--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.paciellogroup.com_blog_2015_03_current-2Dstandards-2Dwork-2Dat-2Dw3c_&d=BQMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=REZD8fc2AwufInstfW3L5jSLVS8bjZtAodDOhat7yAI&m=XuIC3P-kQGM1GletjGe4QLrtTnvXuaapDiPI7IKu-Ec&s=b7U3ZtPr67YzETiv9MkHiLWcwMHAY2m8QifPUY9MPMk&e=>