Re: ADV: Re: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

Hi, Deborah:

Deborah Kaplan writes:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there another way that preserves the "no AT required" benefit? I
> > regret I don't see what it could be, but it would be good if we could
> > find a reliable robust way to do this without requiring AT.
> >

> Sure: acknowledge that plenty of already existing ARIA markup has vital
> uses to keyboard, magnification, and other disabled users who don't use AT,
> and accept that it might be time to stop restricting ARIA to AT users only.
>
> Deborah Kaplan

Several people have responded in support of this notion. I also support
it. So does the ARIA specification itself ...

Sec. 1.3: "User Agent Support," of the ARIA specification says:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-1.1/introduction#ua-support

"The WAI-ARIA specification neither requires or forbids user agents from
enhancing native presentation and interaction behaviors on the basis of
WAI-ARIA markup.  Mainstream user agents might expose WAI-ARIA navigational
landmarks (for example, as a dialog box or through a keyboard command) with
the intention to facilitate navigation for all users. User agents are
encouraged to maximize their usefulness to users, including users without
disabilities."

As a not infrequent user of Safari titles on my Android, I would love
ARIA-Landmark support in Safari content. Can we look forward to this
sometime soon? Natively, in the Safari app itself?

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net