From: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Sent: November 2, 2015 2:47 PM
To: Ivan Herman
Cc: Florian Rivoal; Dave Cramer; Elika Etemad; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Is there a CSS media query for EPUB (or, later, PWP)?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2015, at 11:43, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net<mailto:florian@rivoal.net>> wrote:

> Based on your original mail, I suppose you'd like to see a media feature that would let you react to the UA/environment providing a table of contents. This might be worth looking into. We should probably start by gathering various use cases to see how the different media with TOCs behave, to figure out if this is an on/off switch, or if there are more variants (or if this is the correct axis at all). For example, we should look at different epub readers, pdf renderers, assistive technologies...

That was indeed my initial issue that triggered my question but, obviously, there may be other use cases.

One possibly-useful and possibly-related media feature might be for the presence or absence of a "secondary browsing context" as defined in HTML5. In Firefox and Opera, a rel=sidebar link will open in a browser sidebar, which is very similar conceptually to an ebook reading system's built-in navigation.

Dave