Re: Is there a CSS media query for EPUB (or, later, PWP)?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> > On 31 Oct 2015, at 11:43, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>

> > Based on your original mail, I suppose you'd like to see a media feature
> that would let you react to the UA/environment providing a table of
> contents. This might be worth looking into. We should probably start by
> gathering various use cases to see how the different media with TOCs
> behave, to figure out if this is an on/off switch, or if there are more
> variants (or if this is the correct axis at all). For example, we should
> look at different epub readers, pdf renderers, assistive technologies…
>
> That was indeed my initial issue that triggered my question but,
> obviously, there may be other use cases.

One possibly-useful and possibly-related media feature might be for the
presence or absence of a "secondary browsing context" as defined in HTML5.
In Firefox and Opera, a rel=sidebar link will open in a browser sidebar,
which is very similar conceptually to an ebook reading system's built-in
navigation.

Dave