Re: use case: page based scholarly reference?

> On 11 Jun 2015, at 16:53 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:
>
> First of all, let me be clear: this is NOT about fluid pages, this is simply making a record of where the pages break in the final, published, to-be-cited print pages. It is not at all about being responsive to pagination in a digital environment.

O.k. That is a very important distinction. I was only thinking in terms of fluid documents and not for-print ones.

For to-be-printed documents all that you say below (thanks for explaining) makes perfect sense. What it means for a digital environment is that every logical section must have a way of being identified easily.

Maybe the requirement is on authoring tools that they must provide and @id to all sections and subsections and… Maybe this is already done for table of contents, but my experience is that very often these @id-s are not readable and rememberable (is this a valid word?) for humans.

And then we may have a problem with documents that were not authored with this requirement in mind: how to provide a proper ID for those (of course, we may decide to say: too bad, tough luck…)

Thanks

Ivan