Re: [css-priorities] Updated document on CSS priorities

Any cosmetic changes that require you to ADD elements (mainly visual) to
the page will have negative effects when polyfilled - hyphens is a
wonderful example.  Only at the browser level can you add something that
isn't really there - so basically have a visual display that gets ignored
by other aspects of the rendering system (allowing for things like
accessibility to happen).

The biggest struggle between what can/should be polyfilled from my
perspective is this - a polyfill in nearly all cases will be a kludge or
coat-of-paint over something that doesn't work as intended.  Javascript
sits at a higher level than the browser, so implementations will be
slower.  Additionally, data provided to it will be different.

Clearly my knowledge of Houdini is not high, but it sounds like Houdini is
working to make some higher quality data be provided to polyfills to allow
them to do a better job, and this may be the kludge that gets us through
for now, but you want as much core functionality to happen at the lowest
level possible to provide the best experience and most flexible
experience.  IMO.

-Nick

--
- Nick Ruffilo