RE: report: iOS9 adds "print to PDF"

In addition to the more detailed comments from Peter (below):

The accessibility community is in general agreement that PDF, even when laboriously enhanced for accessibility (and only a minuscule proportion of PDFs are), does not meet their needs compared to well structured EPUB 3. EPUB 3 was designed in collaboration with that community to be inherently accessible and the DAISY Consortium has standardized on EPUB 3 as the format for the delivery of accessible content.

—Bill Kasdorf

From: Peter Krautzberger [mailto:peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 3:00 PM
To: Olaf Drümmer
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger; Bill Kasdorf; Ivan Herman; Larry Masinter; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: report: iOS9 adds "print to PDF"

> Maybe it's a problem that PDF works essentially everywhere, whereas EPUB hardly does?

Well, iOS and OSX ship with a pretty good epub2&3 viewer, iBooks.

> And that PDF could be made to work for people with special needs?

But do they? I don't have access to any samples.

> And how many websites are out there that really use MathML (as opposed to images of formulas with some Alt attached to them).

Many. Anybody who's serious about math and science, really. From STEM publishers like IEEE to platforms like StackExchange, from individual researchers to MOOCs, from educational publishers like Pearson to blogging teachers, from computational software like iPython Notebooks and MatLab to encyclopedias like, well, Wikipedia (thought arguably not yet the default).

> [...] why it's not good enough for 'mobile'.

Because it throws away most of the information; imho, that's fine for printing but not much beyond that.

>  How realistic is it that a sizeable number of users will actually use EPUB3 (including having access to 'real' EPUB3 reading systems, availability publications in EPUB3, and so forth)?

Apple ships a good epub viewer on all products. They also don't seem to care about other platforms, cf. the iBooks Author format.

> why is there no decent, readily available web page to EPUB3 converter at all?

A google search<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=!g+html+to+epub&t=canonical> turns up a few options. Sure they are not perfect, but neither are PDF generators (though arguably those they'll screw up different things). I would say Calibre has comparable (yet different) quality to print-to-pdf from browsers. Perhaps all it takes is an epub equivalent of print stylesheets to improve the situation quickly (though print stylesheets are probably a good start for epub generation, too).

Anyway, I don't have any issue with having a PDF generator around; it just doesn't knock me off my feet.
Peter.