role "statement"

From: Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:08:18 +0100
To: "DPUB-ARIA (public-dpub-aria@w3.org)" <public-dpub-aria@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi,

As per today's DPUB-ARIA call, I wanted to separate out an item from an
earlier discussion in December.

I would like to propose a role "(formal) statement".

Here's a work-in-progress definition.

A minor structural division in a work, typically encapsulated in a major
division. A fragment that is part of the overall flow (i.e., not an aside)
but is distinguished from the surrounding content (often typographically)
and might be referenced elsewhere (in particular, often carries a label).

Among other things, statements are content fragments that might be
aggregated in some form of index (comparable to figures).

Use cases come from humanities (postulate), law (via Bill Kasdorf),
sciences (hypothesis, experiment, ansatz, result, example), math (theorem,
proof, definition, proposition, lemma, corollary).

Statements are similar to figures except it's more textual and never
floating. In HTML5, I'd expect it to be mostly applied to <section> though

Looking at the already proposed roles, statement appears a bit meta --
question, answer, practice seem to be statements, too. For full disclosure,
a <statement> element is part of NLM/JATS/BITS.

Best regards,
Peter.