W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > February 2015

[Minutes] 2015-02-09 Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

From: Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 19:16:14 +0100
Message-ID: <54D8F96E.8030008@w3.org>
To: "public-digipub-ig@w3.org >> W3C Digital Publishing IG" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

The minutes of the Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference 
dated 2015-02-09 are now available at

     http://www.w3.org/2015/02/09-dpub-minutes.html

These public minutes are also linked from the dpub wiki
     http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Meetings

Also find these minutes in a text version following, for your convenience.

Best,

Thierry Michel

______________________________________________________________

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

             Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

09 Feb 2015

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/09-dpub-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Charles LaPierre (clapierre), Heather Flanagan
           (HeatherF), Phil Madans (philm), Tzviya Siegman
           (tzviya), Mike Miller (MikeMiller), Rob Sanderson
           (azaroth),Nick Ruffilo (NickRuffilo), Karen Myers
           (Karen_Myers), Luc Audrain (luc), Ivan Herman (Ivan),
           Ben de Meester (bjdmeest), Thierry Michel (tmichel),
           Brady Duga (duga), Tim Cole (TimCole), AylaStein
           (astein), Vladimir Levantovsky (Vlad), Richard Ishida
           (Richard), Laura Fowler (lfowler), Susann Keohane
           (skeohane), Liza Daly (liza).

    Regrets
           Ben, Dave, Peter, Markus

    Chair
           Tzviya

    Scribe
           laudrain

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]W3C publications relevant to publishing
          2. [5]document and fragment identification
          3. [6]I18N
      * [7]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 09 February 2015

    <tzviya> agenda: * Approval of last week's minutes [1]

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

    <tzviya> * W3C publications relevant to publishing [2]

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/09-dpub-irc

    <tzviya> *i18n documentation review (Heather, Liza) [3]

    <tzviya> * Document and fragment identification – A new
    direction for the Metadata TF

    <tzviya> * Personalization use cases (Tzviya) [4]

    <tzviya> * Footnote element in HTML (link to email chain) (time
    permitting) [5]

    <tzviya> * Meeting on 16 Feb (US Presidents’ Day)

    <tzviya> scribenick: laudrain

    item 1 : last week minutes

    <tzviya> [8]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/02-dpub-minutes.html

       [8] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/02-dpub-minutes.html

    No comments, minutes approuved

W3C publications relevant to publishing

    <tzviya> [9]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/W3C_specs_for_DPUB

       [9] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/W3C_specs_for_DPUB

    Thierry: document discussed 3 weeks ago, We agreed that we
    would publish it in a public wiki where evere one can edit it.

    The second issue is about the review. there was a 2 weeks
    review period, but so far no feedback sent. Concerned by not
    enough review

    Lisa said she would send a reply

    <tzviya> s/lisa/Liza

    Heather will comment this week

    <liza> I will also comment

    Still open this week

    liam, richard did contribute : please add to the document

    in a week, pushed to the public wiki

    item 2 : Document and fragment identification – A new direction
    for the Metadata TF

document and fragment identification

    Ivan: issue in the white apaper on identification

    Discussed earlier on proper URL to documents

    Finding the URL is an issue for this IG

    More in EPUB-WEB

    <HeatherF> Note: we skipped the i18n discussion on the agenda.
    Come back to it after Doc and fragment id?

    Docuemnt on-line going off-line, links have to remain alive

    <ivan> [10]https://github.com/w3c/epubweb/wiki/Identification

      [10] https://github.com/w3c/epubweb/wiki/Identification

    Which infrastructure to enable that?

    Ivan maed a xrite-up on the wiki page, see link

    Any body should read through to improve it

    comment or modify directly, or email, but discussion is
    expected

    Liza: take a look, and will be discussed following weeks

I18N

    Topic 3 : i18n documentation review

    review of typography on the web

    link: [3]
    [11]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015
    Feb/0042.html

      [11] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015Feb/0042.html

    help prioritize the docuepmnt

    Liza: subject missings, page media for not web centric media

    widows and orphans in international languages

    some presentation may be missing

    <Julie> Jule's following along on IRC only today

    richard: next steps, suggestions helpful for layout
    requirements

    recomandations welcome

    <r12a> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Layout_links

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Layout_links

    arabic text, urdu text justification

    <r12a>
    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_
    on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks

      [13] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Improving_typography_on_the_Web_and_in_eBooks

    let know of any good articles to add to this list

    missing: quotation marks in other scripts

    tzviya: how to make recommandations?

    richard: japanese satandard could speak authoritavely

    arabic in more dificult getting the reperesentative people

    recruit people who are really experts, memeber of a group in
    that script community

    any good article welcome

    Topic 4 : Personalization use cases

    <tzviya>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory#Personali
    zation

      [14] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory#Personalization

    separate personalization in t a specific link

    add-in appreciated

    everibody should look into it

    Brady: need real work done from the CSS WG

    certains rules in writing CSS

    which way to accomplish these rules?

    <HeatherF> q

    action item for Brady

    <trackbot> Error finding 'item'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[15]http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users>.

      [15] http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users

    <tzviya> action brady to add information to personalization use
    cases

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-45 - Add information to
    personalization use cases [on Brady Duga - due 2015-02-16].

    for CSS wizard only

    <liza> User stylesheets have been removed from many browsers,
    no?

    make it easier to use default stylesheet

    based on the cascade, then very diffcult to change

    the default CSS removed form browser

    <liza> (I'm trying to find a citation for my comment)

    <liza>
    [16]https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?revision=234007&view
    =revision

      [16] 
https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?revision=234007&view=revision

    Heather: it does not necessarily work?

    Brady: we need to speak to CSS WG

    tzviya: gather personalization in one place

    Topic 5 : Footnote element in HTML

    a lot of mail

    HTML has proposed to include a footnote element

    asking for a feedback from us

    interation between html element, aria role, CSS class?

    Definition: that element is a foonote

    <foontnote> doesn’t mean anythng about placement

    espcially in digital space

    in print product, it may vary in placement

    HTML5 footnote : do we support the introduction of this element

    <Bill_Kasdorf> Agree with everything Tzviya said so far, except
    to point out that there are other types beyond footnote and
    endnote. That just reinforces her points.

    ivan: non publisher, waht foonote brings compare to aside?

    <r12a> footnote tend to have anchors

    tzviya: we could propose a definition

    asides implies more than footnote

    BiilK: footnote are asides

    footnote has a reference

    it is a valid semantic add

    <Bill_Kasdorf> s/ are asides / are not always asides

    add for the proposed definition

    <Bill_Kasdorf> +1 to making footnote an HTML element

    adding thsi element is a good idea

    <NickRuffilo> +1 For HTML element

    <azaroth> +0

    Tim: concern in encouraging this, take away from annotation

    potential end up with just that

    <azaroth> +1 to TimCole

    <clapierre1> +1 as long as there is a way to specify the "type"
    of note this is

    tzviya: for very basic footnote it is suffiecient

    <Bill_Kasdorf> +1 to charles

    then a working definition should precise that

    azaroth: annotation use cases go beyond the document

    author notes vs reader notes

    <tzviya> ?/s/azaroth

    document authors coud use annotations

    BiilK: footnotes are part of the text, intrisically

    <tzviya> action contact HTML for working definition of footnote
    element

    <trackbot> Error finding 'contact'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[17]http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users>.

      [17] http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users

    tzviy to contact html group for footnote definition

    <ivan> action tzviya to contact the HTML WG for a working
    definition of footnote

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-46 - Contact the html wg for a
    working definition of footnote [on Tzviya Siegman - due
    2015-02-16].

    publishers and authors think as foonotes not annotations

    Topic 6 : Meeting on 16 Feb?

    President ’s day in the US, most office are closed

    <TimCole> not most universities

    <Vlad> I am traveling next week, regrets from me

    <philm> Our office is closed

    <Mike_Miller> traveling on Monday

    <azaroth> To scribe my perspective: With a footnote element,
    there is a divide between notes added within the HTML document
    and those added by third parties, that might be otherwise
    identical in semantics, form and rendering. Avoiding two ways
    of doing the same thing is IMO preferable

    <Karen> Out on 16 Feb

    <HeatherF> I'm available, but I suspect I'm in the minority.

    next meeting on Feb 23rd

    Matt introduction

    tzviya: F2F meeting in May, wiki page

    26th of May at Hachette Book Group, NYC

    <r12a> [18]http://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

      [18] http://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

    Richard: CSS WG published a document last week

    on counter styles

    codes for footnotes counters

    an app implement this things

    <r12a> [19]http://rishida.net/tools/numberconverter/

      [19] http://rishida.net/tools/numberconverter/

    all answers to automate numbering

    <tzviya> s/autoate/automate

    tzviya: packaging spec!

    also the linkit(?) spec

    thank you

    <azaroth> Thanks all :)

    <Mike_Miller> disconnect

    <Mike_Miller> exit

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version
     1.140 ([21]CVS log)
     $Date: 2015-02-09 18:13:26 $
      __________________________________________________________

      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30
Check for newer version at [22]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

      [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/item 2/Topic/
FAILED: s/lisa/Liza/
Succeeded: s/discuued/discussed/
Succeeded: s/?/Liza/
Succeeded: s/scriots/scripts/
Succeeded: s/tahn/than/
FAILED: s/ are asides / are not always asides/
Succeeded: s/?/azaroth/
Succeeded: s/autoate/automate/
FAILED: s/autoate/automate/
Found ScribeNick: laudrain
Inferring Scribes: laudrain
Default Present: clapierre, philm, Tzviya, MikeMiller, azaroth, NickRuff
ilo, Karen_Myers, +33.6.48.38.aaaa, Ivan, Vlad, Richard, HeatherF, lfowl
er, +1.512.445.aabb, Susann_Keohane, tmichel, Luc, bjdmeest, +1.217.300.
aacc, liza, astein, brady_duga, [IPcaller], [Ugent], TimCole
Present: clapierre philm Tzviya MikeMiller azaroth NickRuffilo Karen_Mye
rs +33.6.48.38.aaaa Ivan Vlad Richard HeatherF lfowler +1.512.445.aabb S
usann_Keohane tmichel Luc bjdmeest +1.217.300.aacc liza astein brady_dug
a [IPcaller] [Ugent] TimCole Ben_De_Meester
Regrets: Ben Dave Peter Markus

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 09 Feb 2015
Guessing minutes URL: [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/09-dpub-minutes.html
People with action items:

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/09-dpub-minutes.html

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.



    [End of [24]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Monday, 9 February 2015 18:19:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:35:55 UTC