Re: Footnote discussions

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there a significant difference between a footnote and an annotation,
> other than the positioning?  If there is, I'm missing it :)

A footnote could be seen as an annotation by the author of their own
document, but it's also an integral part of the original document in a way
that feels different than other sorts of annotations. I don't know if that
matters for the markup, but I think it's a rather significant use case.

> Wouldn't a hint to the client that a particular area on the page (foot,
> side, wherever) was reserved for rendering annotations suffice?

Given the huge variety of ways to display such information, and the long
history of some rendering options, I think we need to give authors a fair
amount of control over presentation. And that control would be equally
useful for separate annotations. I just hope we don't see book endnotes
rendered as an infinite scroll!

Dave