Re: Fonts (was Re: follow up on service workers for publishing platform)

On 12/2/15, 12:58 PM, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com> wrote:

>Thank you for raising these important questions. I would argue (repeating Patrick’s and my own sentiment) that any part that constitutes a publication should be treated as essential component.

Agreed as well.

>- When it comes to fonts I’d argue that we need to only be concerned with enabling their use by authors, the technical decisions we make need not be concerned with pleasing any particular font vendor to satisfy their wishes or special interests.

Agreed.

> The font industry as a whole is at peace with web font technology

Yes and no.  While I agree with the above statement, what it misses is that web fonts are completely separate from desktop fonts - both technically and legally.  And a PWP cross the boundaries - hence my concerns.

>- I believe that things like font obfuscation and encryption are definitely out of the scope for this group, in my opinion. DPUB will be using existing web technologies and can definitely influence the direction of their development if there is a new use case to consider, but unless it is justified by the use cases – I don’t see the need to even bring it up.

And here is where we disagree, related to my statement above (and in previous messages).

One of the key goals of PWP is to provide a solution that can serve both as an online and offline publication.  However, because of the current split between web and desktop (offline) fonts it is quite unclear how a PWP could address this today.  Going back to my point(s) about the need to discuss this further.

>- Font subsetting is a different story – whether it is done to reduce the glyph set to only those used in the particular publication or to support one [of many] scripts supported by the same font is again, in my view, a publisher decision and it is the one that has no bearing on the underlying technology that enables the use of fonts in DPUB

Agreed.

>- I don’t believe there are significant differences between foundries when it comes to licensing conditions,

You’d be surprised :).

>And thank you for recognizing the expertise this group has on the subject.

And while no one is challenging that, it doesn’t make you the final arbiter of all things font related. Many of us (such as myself) also have decades of experience with font technologies and their implications in publishing.

Leonard