Springer Metadata Interview

From: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:40:05 +0000
To: "W3C Digital Publishing IG (public-digipub-ig@w3.org)" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
CC: "Henning.Schoenenberger@springer.com" <Henning.Schoenenberger@springer.com>
Hi, folks-

A very belated but very interesting report of my interview with Henning Schoenenberger, Director, Product Data and Metadata at Springer. This is relevant not only to the metadata work but also the STM work, since Springer is one of the largest and oldest STM publishers in the world.

To entice you to read the report, here are my favorite quotes:

"Metadata is not to be solved, it's to be saved."

"Functionalities and formats (e.g., schema.org) need to cover library and trade under the same umbrella."

"Clear rights metadata is especially important now that everything is visible: once you publish something digitally, retractions are a complex matter. This can be life-or-death for a small publisher which hasn't done its homework."

And in closing:

In conclusion, what Henning characterized as "the Big Data promise":

*         Linked Open Data

*         Named Entity Recognition

*         Robust Identifiers

With these, it would be possible to realize Henning's vision:

"In a few years, robots will do research for you. Good metadata will make this possible."

--Bill Kasdorf

Bill Kasdorf
Vice President, Apex Content Solutions
Apex CoVantage