From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 12:37 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: [metadata] yet another vocabulary coming up?

Looking at this, one thing that dawned on me... What I would like to understand is how the different vocabularies relate to a whole publishing pipeline (maybe pipeline is not the right word because things are not necessarily linear). You guys are the expert, I am just the layperson, but in my mind there is some sort of a workflow starting with the author, going on with the editing and production, marketing and sale, then the library cataloging, the references to the publication (eg for scholarly publishing), making it available for search engines, down to a possible personal management of one's own bookshelves. Each of these steps and states involve terms to use, which is, in my jargon, the vocabulary and identifiers to use.

So... I would love to have a clearer understanding on which vocabulary can be hooked on which of these steps. Of course, it is not very simple, because one vocabulary can have a role in several of these states, but each has a particular advantage/emphasis which makes it particularly usable and/or largely used in a particular state. For example, ONIX seems to have lots of marketing and sale terms, but it is way too complicated for search engines I presume; hence the necessity of the bibliographic extensions to schema.org. Dublin core is very simple, but this means it has the power of simplicity as well as ubiquity which makes it o.k. for linkage to many other things. The various LOC vocabularies seem to bind the publication metadata to the traditional library cataloguing world. Etc.

Ie: for each vocabulary: what is its main role, main purpose, where does it fit in the publishing world?

Am I banging on open doors? I mean, is this very clear to people in the publishing world? If so, I will shut up. But if not, this may give some sort of a guiding principles for the issues we would try to document...

Cheers

Ivan

On 10 Mar 2014, at 15:43 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:

> Yes, MODS has been around a long time and is definitely relevant. So is another such general purpose and somewhat related scheme from the LOC, METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), which is at http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/. I often refer to METS when talking to folks about metadata because it makes clear that metadata can encompass descriptive, administrative, and structural metadata--folks often think in terms of just one of those. In fact, you probably noticed that MODS is described as a potential extension schema to METS. My impression of MODS is that it is primarily bibliographic metadata, but perhaps somebody else on the IG can correct me if I'm wrong about that.
>
> Thanks for sending this--both MODS and METS need to be part of the discussion, definitely.
>
> --Bill

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.