Some adaptive layout thoughts

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:07:48 -0500
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Some very sketchy and short based on XSL-FO conversations and on
long-time-ago experience... there's probably more somewhere if I could
only find the notebook!

1. alternate content

use case examples
1a. A short form of a chapter title for use in running heads if the
    full title doesn't fit

1b. Next-page/previous-page links:
    See Figure 12 (overleaf)
    See Figure 11 (previous page)
    See Figure 17 (opposite page)
    are all massively better than just using page numbers (I have
    implemented this and used it e.g. in a printed book)

1c. A smaller version of a image for when the large one won't
    fit. This isn't necessarily because a screen (or page) is
    too small, it might be because other content used up space.

2 Layout

Adobe (I think maybe Alan) posted a blog with use cases for the named
flows / regions CSS spec that included use cases of navigation menus
moving when a window is resized or when you rotate a device
landscape/portrait; similarly, margin notes in landscape could turn to
footnotes in portrait.