From: Bill Kasdorf [mailto:bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:09 AM
To: Ivan Herman
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: RE: schema.org and ONIX... AND THEMA

Hi, Ivan--

This was actually going to be one of my recommendations as a result of the interviewing I've been doing. That this "super simple schema.org" subset would be useful is clear. What I do want to point out, though, is that I think Thema rather than ONIX would be the better choice. Thema is about subject classifications (plus it is a global standard) and that is the kind of metadata publishers need to embed at a granular level in their content. ONIX is really a messaging format that contains a huge amount of stuff that would not be used in that way at all--it is product level metadata primarily. So whether it might make sense to look at portions of ONIX, I think Thema is the place to start, and I think it would find very quick adoption.

First of all, apologies for the delayed response. I am head-down on a big report for the EU that I have to finish by tomorrow, and I have been neglecting non-critical e-mails (and cancelling meetings!). I see that there are a whole bunch of replies to this that I have not yet looked at. But I wanted to go on record for saying that this was exactly what I was thinking would be called for (whether ONIX or Thema).