Re: [EXT] Re: Potential list of securities in the US [was: Unlawful Unregistered Securities, DID and VC]

so 17. 6. 2023 v 12:22 odesílatel Kyle Den Hartog <kyle@pryvit.tech> napsal:

> I’d assume the explicit ban of trading cryptocurrencies by China would
> hold up to scrutiny then given they’re the exact same outcomes. What’s the
> difference between US law and Chinese law?
>
> Similarly, in the past an initiative of the European Commission [1] stated
> there exists a lot of uncertainty around usage of persistent blockchain
> identifiers and the very clearly defined GDPR regulations which has
> resulted in many fines. What’s different around the US securities laws and
> GDPR?
>

> These issues were both known about when the working group formed the
> requirements of the did method registries and the mandate laid upon editors
> by the WG clearly stated to not arbitrarily restrict methods.
>
> It seems pretty clear that if we are to apply the rules of one
> jurisdiction then it should be applied to all. Against the will of the
> working group. However, when China (previous email of this thread) and the
> EU have produced similar laws and legal guidance you didn’t bring this
> issue up. However this isn’t the first time you’ve been concerned with the
> usage of the W3C and a particular did method [2]. Could it be that you’re
> relying upon a selection bias of legal rationale here to selectively
> discredit did methods you don’t like so they get removed from the
> registries and the US securities law issue is just the latest example of
> this? Furthermore, even if we did remove the entries in question from the
> registries this doesn’t invalidate the compliance of the methods
> themselves. They can still claim compliance with W3C’s did core
> specification even if we completely remove the registry because the did
> core specification placed no legal requirements to be a compliant method.
> The working group recognized this would be an a highly subjective
> requirement which W3C lacks expertise in which is why you’ve received so
> much pushback from so many different people on this topic. As a next step
> to resolve this discussion I propose that the working group’s decision
> should stand as is and any further discussion should take place in a
> chartered working group with the authority to modify the registries
> requirements since the CCG doesn’t have authority to change the
> requirements of this registry.

GDPR is a distinct matter but noteworthy nonetheless. It's indeed
referenced within the DID Core text, and various related issues have been
discussed, as seen in the provided link:

https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Aw3c%2Fdid-core+gdpr&type=issues