Re: Discussion w/ Google about their DID Core Formal Objection

On 10/19/21 8:43 AM, Adrian Gropper wrote:
> If W3C can't handle DID then it's the wrong place to pursue standards
> essential to decentralization.

I don't think thinking about what's happening right now is the right mental
model. Here are some facts:

* The DID Core specification had overwhelming positive
  support by W3C Members[1]. More than WebAuthn, more than
  PNG, more than WebAppSec, more than WebRTC, etc. Let
  that sink in for a second. :)

* There is W3C Mission/Vision work to establish not
  favouring centralization at W3C[2].

* Two of the three objectors said "we want to see the DID
  WG do more work"... not less, and certainly not "we
  don't want this work to happen at W3C".

At this point, we have a very clear signal from the W3C Membership that they
*do* want us to pursue decentralization standards at W3C. If you want
something to happen at W3C, you make it happen; it is a membership
organization driven by the members desires, and in this case, the vast
majority of the membership that cares has given a pretty clear signal of
approval of the work.

More here:

https://msporny.github.io/did-core-formal-objections/#why-does-the-w3c-hate-decentralization

-- manu