Re: New CR Snapshot

Our implementation supports the standard error codes for resolution. I’ve got a few more things to write up to fix automatic report generation for us, but I think we’ll end up with 2+ implementations (UR and Ours). If you want to play it safe to protect a third CR I’m good with marking it as at risk until our implementation is merged.

Regarding the additional parameters, I agree it makes sense to add them to at-risk section. I’m still planning to implement them though. We should resolve issue 129 in the test suite as well to make that happen as well.

-Kyle
From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sunday, 30 May 2021 at 6:44 AM
To: public-did-wg@w3.org <public-did-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: New CR Snapshot
On 5/28/21 3:01 PM, Brent Zundel wrote:
> Feedback from our first CR has shown that it is possible some normative
> features may not have implementation support in time for them to be
> included in our final Recommendation.

This email details the features that might not have implementation support by
the time we enter the Proposed Recommendation phase. I have attached the
latest implementation report for reference.

There are 47 normative features that do not currently have at least two
independent and conformant implementations. Yes, that's a lot of features to
not have independent implementations of by this time in the process... but
there's hope!

Many of these unimplemented features are in the DID Resolution section and we
are told that the Universal Resolver will be implementing a number of these
features bringing the total count up to two implementations. If that fails to
happen, we have wording that will allow us to remove features that are not
implemented during CR2.

However, there are features with zero implementations and even if the
Universal Resolver implements the following features, it won't be enough and
the features will have to be removed from the specification:

* 7.1.2 DID Resolution Metadata - invalidDid
* 7.1.2 DID Resolution Metadata - notFound
* 7.1.2 DID Resolution Metadata - error
* 7.1.2 DID Resolution Metadata - invalidDidUrl

Some of the zero implementation concerns are in the JSON Production section,
and we expect the DID WG to resolve to support these features even without
implementation support (as a general principle to have this support in the
Abstract Data Model):

* 6.2.1 JSON Production - datetime
* 6.2.1 JSON Production - integer
* 6.2.1 JSON Production - double
* 6.2.1 JSON Production - boolean
* 6.2.1 JSON Production - null

The following normative features, however, have zero implementations to date
(and we didn't mark them as at risk). These are the features that are causing
us to go through another Candidate Recommendation phase. We are going to mark
them as at-risk in CR2 and continue to seek at least two independent
implementations of the following:

* DID Parameters - service
* DID Parameters - relativeRef

We will be discussing these items in the context of a 2nd Candidate
Recommendation Snapshot during the next DID WG meeting.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches