Re: Are we doing enough to align our work with Zero Trust Architecture?

Here's a bit of explanation around the slides I just shared:

Considering risk mitigation, based on SSI principles, there are four
separate actors:

   1.

   Resource Owner (RO) their user agent (mobile wallet), and cloud agent
   (AS)
   2.

   Service Provider (SP), by definition has data in the clear
   3.

   Requesting Party (RQ) and their user agent (mobile wallet)
   4.

   Requesting Client (RC), by definition has data in the clear

Note that the EDV does not show up on this list because they never have the
data in the clear or the ability to direct access to data in the clear.

Note also that there are no independent auditors role yet in the SSI model.

Consider compromised actors, based on SSI principles:

   1.

   Resource Owner (RO) compromise has minimal risk to the extent that one
   RO cannot compromise another RO in the rest of the system. That minimal
   risk applies also to the mobile wallet (rubber hose cryptography) and to
   the cloud agent (AS) of the RO if the AS is also self-sovereign to the RO.
   If the AS is a fiduciary to many RO’s then there needs to be a mechanism to
   audit AS behavior.
   2.

   Service Provider (SP) compromise is a huge risk. The risk is minimized
   by having as many substitutable SPs as practical for ROs to choose from and
   each SP serving as few ROs as possible. This decentralization of SPs is the
   main reason policy-driven semi-autonomous AS’s are useful since they can
   act without bothering the RO in cases where the risk is acceptable relative
   to RO policy. Even so, when SPs serve more than one RO an independent audit
   mechanism is needed.
   3.

   Requesting Party (RQ) compromise is guaranteed. The risk is minimized by
   holding individuals accountable for their actions and by having multiple
   individuals collude in a transparent way to act as a RQ. A notary is an
   example of RQ risk mitigation. The notary is somewhat independent as an
   auditor (somewhat because they are chosen by the RQ) and they are
   individually accountable (because they bring their own user agent and keep
   their own transaction logs). Other RQ compromise mitigations focus on their
   user agent to reduce the risk of rubber hose cryptography and to secure
   wallet recovery procedures.
   4.

   Requesting Client (RC) compromise is also guaranteed. The RC typically
   has access to many ROs’ data and acts an agent to many RQs. Some of these
   RQs will be compromised. RCs and RQs have different privacy and
   accountability expectations. RCs for example can be bonded whereas RQs can
   be jailed. To protect the RQs and SPs and hold them accountable for
   choosing to interact with the RC, SSI must provide some guidance on how to
   independently audit RCs.

The introduction of auditors for the various roles above, by definition,
adds friction to the system. This friction is essential to the success of
SSI and it is up to us to design this friction deliberately according to
SSI principles. EDVs are part of the solution. Standardized authorization
protocols like GNAP, are a key part of the solution because they enable
policy-driven semi-autonomous agents and because they can help hold RCs
separately accountable from the user agents of requesting parties and
requesting party delegates.

Adrian