Re: Are we doing enough to align our work with Zero Trust Architecture?

Thanks @Manu on multiple counts. You noticed that my question was to the
broader group and you're willing to see my question as a standards issue.
I, however, think our responsibility as the standards devs is much more
than 30%.

Looking at the ZTA imperative through the lens of Confidential Storage or
EDVs is a missed opportunity. I'm a huge fan of standardizing EDVs, but
EDVs actually obscure the ZTA protocol issues.

Encryption at rest is a given. The issue is authentication, authorization,
and audit.

The most important message from the SolarWinds hack and much of the
ransomware havoc is that our systems are not set up for individual
accountability or independent audit.

The VC and ZCAPs perspective is inadequate. As an SSI community we need to
address the separation of concerns between authentication, authorization,
and audit as equally important and needing a harmonized best-practice
perspective. Standardized EDVs are table stakes but not terribly relevant
to the protocols that link authentication, authorization, and audit.
Confidential Storage should be adopting the protocols that connect
authentication, authorization, and audit rather than introducing protocols
narrowly scoped to the narrow and obvious role of encryption at rest.

I've put together a few slides in an attempt to clarify the relationship
between non-repudiable accountability and audits (and EDVs).
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksKal62ZiApX09Nejm4RSqHzHJbgwpu_l2Ho64_ePKU/edit#slide=id.p
I'd love to find a time to explain.

Adrian