Re: Thoughts on current discussion around QR codes

Commenting as an observer on the WG.

In a previous life I dealt a lot with barcodes (linear and 2D).  One of the big challenges with symbologies is that the larger they get the greater occurrence of misreads.  This is true with linear Code 3/9, interleaved Code 2/5 and certainly 2D Data Matrix symbols.  I was dealing with the symbols in a production environment (high volume mail creation equipment - 24,000 bills/hr).  There were vendors in the market that were constantly putting forward increase data density in the symbols and issues around print quality, orientation, twist, misreads on in-between pieces all of these impacted the overall production throughputs.

There was another approach (which the company I worked for at the time) put forward, that was a data minimization approach, putting only a reference pointer in the symbology and then having unlimited data size in the data file.  The approach of increasing the information density is also an issue that is facing some of the RFID manufacturers where they are trying to stored specific data in the tag itself.  The big challenge there is that there is never enough space.  Nature abhors a vacuum and a symbol will never be able to hold all the information you would like.

I would agree with Phil here, making it bigger, chaining them, is the wrong approach.  It will open reliability issues and more problems than you expect.

Michael Shea.